Today, June 14th is celebrated as world blood donor day.
Preparations for blood donation.
- Have a regular healthy meal the previous day and day of donation, do not fast before donation.
- Don’t drink alcohol for 48 hours before donation.
- Avoid smoking on day of donation.
- Drink plenty of fluids on the day, but avoid caffeine.
- Wear something comfortable, with sleeves that can be rolled up.
- After donation, sit down for a while and eat light anacks that is offered.
- Drink plenty of liquids and juices for next couple of hours.
- Donor can go back to work within half an hour of giving blood, but should avoid intense physical exertion immediately after donation.
- Must be above 18 years of age
- Donor should not be underweight - more than 45-50 kg is fine
- Should not be suffering from infections such as a cold or flu or chronic diseases(diabetes/cancer etc)
- Should not have taken any intoxicating drugs, orally or otherwise
- Should not have blood pressure or low blood pressure
- Pregnant or menstruating women not eligible to donate
It takes around 24 hours for our body to replenish the volume of blood and hemoglobin level is usually replenished within 7-10 days.